Medical Statistics Course
Do you get terrified by the statistics jargons in medical journals?
Are you frustrated you do not understand what the papers say?
Would you like to be able to interpret clinical research independently?
- Then this course is for you. This introductory course aims to introduce the fundamentals of medical statistics. It would be useful for anyone who wishes to gets to grips with common statistics concepts.
- It is expected that at the end of the course the delegate will be fully familiar with the basic statistical concepts.
- The course consists of lecture and interactive group sessions.
- Pre and post course self-assessment MCQ would help you assess whether you achieved your learning objectives.
- The course is divided in two separate modules.
- Module 1 consists of Practical statistics 1 and 2.
- Module 2 would be offered on a separate date and consists of Practical Epidemiology 1 and 2.
Practical Statistics 1
- To understand the different types of data (e.g. nominal, ordinal, numeric) and the different types of summary statistics that can be used for each data type.
- To understand the normal distribution, highlighting its importance in statistics, and statistical inference in particular.
Practical statistics 2
- To provide an introduction to the two types of statistical inference
- hypothesis testing and P-values
- estimation and confidence intervals
- To assess the relative merit of p-values and confidence intervals.
- To discuss statistical power, Type I and Type II errors
Practical epidemiology 1
- To understand the difference between sensitivity and specificity
- How prevalence affects predictive value of a diagnostic test
- Relation between correlation and causation
Practical epidemiology 2
- OR, RR, NNT
- To understand the key elements of a randomized controlled trial
- To understand the major biases and confounders in RCTs
Date & Cost
- 11th March
This course has a total cost of £10, this fee will cover your place on the course and lunch as this is an all day event. Please note this course is non refundable and if you fail to attend there will be a fee of £100 if we are not notified prior to the event.
You may only attend this event if you are an employee and the following:
Linda Kalinda (Head of Library and Knowledge Services)
United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust,
Library and Knowledge Services, Professional Library, L
Lincoln County Hospital, Greetwell Road, Lincoln. LN2 5QY
TELEPHONE: 01522 573952